[gothic-l] Digest Number 351

Nikolai gothologist at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 19 13:59:44 UTC 2001

> >Dirk,
> >You are quite right that Jordanes actually wrote that the
> Goths have
> >migrated from the Island of Scandza that looks like a Juniper
> leave, the
> >shape of Gotland.
>
> This remark about a "juniper leaf" made me pause a bit.
> For, as you know, the Juniper has no leaves, but needles.
> It is therefore difficult to visualize the shape.

Öland looks like a Juniper leaf (and they are referred to as
leaves, even though some are needley and some are
twig-like/bud-like.)
Could perhaps he have been confused about the islands when he
wrote it ?(Jordanes, that is)

=====
bis später,
Nikolai
^^O^^
http://www.geocities.com/gothwitches
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dreamed before." ~ Edgar Allen Poe