[gothic-l] Re: Amali royal insignia

sunburst sunburst at JETSTREAM.NET
Fri Jul 20 04:06:21 UTC 2001

Greetings everyone!

In _The Roman Empire and its Germanic Peoples_ Wolfram mentions that the
Amali borrowed the Sassinid royal insignia, but he says nothing more about
it.  Elsewhere, I found that the Sassinid royal insignia was a crescent moon
and star enclosed in a circle.  Jordanes mentions a Gothic royal insignia
being being passed down from king to king, and elsewhere I read that this
symbol appears on Ostrogothic shields, including that of Theodoric the
Great.  Does anyone know if this is true or not?  It seems hard to believe
there could be a surviving shield of Theodoric; it seems more likely this
would be based on a literary description of Theodoric's shield.

 Also, does anyone know where an illustration or picture of this symbol can
be found, as portrayed and configured by the Goths, or any pictures of
surviving artifacts which might bear this symbol?

Albareiks