[gothic-l] Gaut, Geat, Gaus(us)

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jul 20 06:39:06 UTC 2001

Esteemed listmembers,

To offer additional reading on the question of the
linguistical and otherwise connection between
Gaut, Geat, Gaus(us) I am offering a short selected
bibliographic list. In a further list I will offer som
bibliographical references on the Goetar, Goths,
Gutar relation. Remains to be mentioned her that
also Professor Thorsten Andersson's article in
Namn och Bygd 1996 contains material on Gaut
and that Ingemar discusses Gaut on around 80 pages
in his _Goterkaellan_ (2000).

Gothically

Bertil

Gaut, Geat, Gaus(us)

Johannes Hoops, Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde, 2nd. Ed.,
Vol. 10, 1998

Same encyclopedia, Vol 1, 1973

Mainly §§ §3, 14,

This three page article contains two paragraphs: § 1 Philologisches and § 2
Historisches.

H. Birkhan, Gapt und Gaut, Zeitschrift fuer deutsche Altertum (?) 94, 1965,
17 pages

H.Kuhn, Gaut, Festschrift J.Trier, 1954, 16 pages

C.R. Davis, Cultural asasimilation in the Anglo-Saxon royal
Genealogies, Anglo-Saxon England, 21, 1992, 13 pages

H.Moisl, Anglo-Saxon royal genealogies and Germanic Oral Tradition,
Journal of Medieval History 7, 1981, 33 pages

O. Hoefler, Der Sakralcharachter des germinaschen Koenigstum,
Vortraege und Forschungen III, hrsg. Th. Mayer, 1956.