[gothic-l] Re: Gautaz - Gaut (Was: To Dirk and Tore)

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Jul 20 12:22:26 UTC 2001

Hi Albareiks

I think the connections you mentioned below sound interesting, but I
am not quite able to follow the logical track all the way:

If we assume the origin of the name Gaut to be an IE verb "Gautaz"
for "pour" related especially to the sacrifice of blood, I would
expect it more likely, that Gaut was the priest - meaning all
priests, the superior priest or a priestking, but not the god
himself. Actually the Scandinavian word for the superior priest in ON-
religions has since we know been "gode".

We need in my opinion a further transition in this case. If we follow
the assumption, could he instead have been a famous priestking and
ancestor in the "original" cult being later worshipped himself by his
descendants as the gaut - ending as the god Gaut expanding over the
Baltic area and being mentioned as the ancestor Gapt by Jordanes?

However "Gautaz" related to seed would still explain both the name of
a god and the name of a divine king - maybe in a more simple and
clumsy way.

Troels

--- In gothic-l at y..., "sunburst" <sunburst at j...> wrote:
> Hails!
>
> >Could you, just briefly, hint or discuss what evidence they give
for
> >their theories on the words god and Gaut?
>
> Well, I was reading the book in New York City a few weeks ago,
which means
> it is now more than 4000 miles away, and all I have is my notes.
However, I
> remember that they don't present much evidence other than related
words on
> other IE languages; they present their information as if it was
accepted
> fact.  I feel confident that they know more about it than I do.
>
> The Proto-Germanic root of Gaut is *Gautaz, (Gothic
`Gáuts' OE
Geat, ON
> Gautr or Gauti, OHG Kóz.  *Gautaz is "to pour forth" or
"flowing" or
> "flooding;" surviving in the Gothic language
> as giutan (of which gaut is the pret. 3rd sing.); OE géotan, and
OHG
> giozzan, all of which
> mean "pour" or "flow," and ON gjota, "throw
(young)."

> The Encyclopedia of IE Culture states that these words derrive from
the
> Indo-European root *gheud- "pour," which is an expansion of
*gheu-
 "pour,
> libation,
> priest, one who performs a sacrifice," OInd juhóti-
"sacrifices,
pours a
> libation into the
> fire," hótar- "priest, one who performs a libation,"
Lat
fútis "water
> vessel, pitcher,"
> TochB kwalne "libation," and it is noted "widespread
attestation
assures PIE
> status.  The
> religious associations around this verb in Indo-Iranian are
striking."

> That considering, I find it strange that *Gautaz is almost always
associated
> with the flowing of rivers or with biological function.  If Ingemar
Nordgren