Fwd: Re: [gothic-l] Re: To Dirk and Tore and keth

Cory B Strohmier cstrohmier at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 21 16:04:00 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,
	I found your comments on this one intriguing, but probably just as
puzzling as Dirk did.  While Old Gutnish and Gothic are clearly related
as Germanic tongues, they do not seem to me to be as close as Bavarian is
to German and Gothic.  (In fact, if you subtract out some later
borrowings and the effects of the Second German Sound Shift from
Bavarian, you will find that Bavarian is very close indeed to Gothic
(especially in pronouns which are rarely borrowed, and in a number of
other common words.)
	Perhaps the problem here is a lack of familiarity with Icelandic and Old
Gutnish.  (I can find my way through the Gothic texts, but I have a hard
time with the Icelandic and Old Gutnish, even when I have both right in
front of me, and I carefully compare them.)  You may need to explain more
fully the connections here, if you wish those of us who are less familiar
with Icelandic and Old Gutnish to be able to follow you.
	I think that the possible connection between Old Gutnish and Gothic is a
fascinating subject, and I agree that it merits further investigation
(but I would add that Bavarian also shares connections with Gothic, and
these connections merit further investigation too).
Cory