[gothic-l] Re: Harlingen

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Jul 23 22:38:02 UTC 2001

Keth - Thank you for your answer below!

These are also the places I found, but reading Germanic-list I
believe Dirk refers to the name of a town in Germany, which is not in
my map. I am of course interested to know which of these places have
earlier been attested as Herulingo and Herlingo - in order to find
the source and especially to know the age and other possible forms,
as I am sure Dirk has spelled the names correctly.

Both places are in the area where the Western Heruls could be
expected to live, when we combine the Roman sources. A similar name
from 832/853 is found close to or in the Herulian areas of Austria
(Herilungoburg/Herilungevelde confirmed by Andreas).

I did not see the importance of the Frisian name Harlingen before
Dirk also provided us with the earlier form, but the 4 names above
and their reverse combinations of letters could be another indication
confirming the theory about a connection between the words Eruli
(L)/Herul(G/E), Eorl(OE)/Earl(E)/Erell(Irish 847) and ErilaR(ON runes
450-550) as H is often silent.

I have this question to our linguists:

Is it possible to compare acceptable deviations from the same name in
this way?
Names of places: Herul- - Harl-/Herl- - Heril-
Names of groups: Herul  - Earl  -  Erel-/Eril-

The ending -ingo/-ungo/-unge might be the ending known from Nibelungen
(G), Völsungen(G), Skjoldunger(D) or Ynglinge(S) - or from the
name mentioned in connection with the Goths in Widsith: Herelingas
(OE) probably being the Heruls.

Troels