[gothic-l] Re: Gothic

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Jul 25 08:31:13 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at N...> wrote:
> I got this off the Gothic language website which I do not know if
this is
> actual Gothic is does not look what I have seen on the list here.
ni was
> im rumis in stada þamma
> there was no room for them in the inn. I thought the  negation was
Na  this
> does not look like Gothic.

But yes, it is Gothic, only I'm not sure about the word usage.
rums means indeed "room, space" (like German "Raum"), but I'm not
convinced that it could be used in the sense of "hotel-room". Anyway,
I think that in this context it should appear in nominative (rums),
not in genitive (rumis). Another word that seems to me more
appropriate is heþjo "chamber, room".
The word staþs (here in dative: stada) means "place, neighborhood". I
don't know why it is used here for "inn". I would use rather saliþwos
"mansion, guest-chamber".
The verbal negation in Gothic is indeed "ni", not "na".
Thus, I think that "There was no room for them in the inn" would be
more correctly (in my opinion) translated in Gothic as:
"Ni was im heþjo in saliþwom þaim."

Francisc

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think! http://promo2.yahoo.com/sbin/Yahoo!_BusinessNewsletter/survey.cgi