Comparing languages. Examples [gothic-l]

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Jul 25 09:56:00 UTC 2001

Hi Cory,

--- In gothic-l at y..., Cory B Strohmier <corystrohmier at j...> wrote:
> ... for example, Gothic has two words
for
> "father":  "atta" and "fadar"; Old High German has "fater."  Bishop
> Wulfila wrote:  "Atta unsar"; the Old High German scribes wrote:
"Fater
> unser."  The texts seem far apart.  Yet Bishop Wulfila could have
> written:  "Fadar unsar,"  and the presence in Middle High German of
the
> word "Etzel" (from Gothic Attila, meaning "Little Father") may point
> an Old High German form of "atta", which may have dropped out as a
result
> of the scribes choosing "Fater."  In any case, a comparision of the
> actual texts would make the two languages seem further apart than
what
> they actually are.

In fact, Wulfila uses mostly "atta", and "fadar" appears only once in
the whole Silver Bible. The fact that the Goths preferred "atta"
instead of "fadar" is proved also by the fact that they called the
Hunish king Attila "little father", and not *Fadrila.
The presence of "Etzel" in the Niebelungenlied is due, in my opinion,
not to the existence of an OHG correspondent of Gothic atta, but to
the borrowing of the name from the Gothic saga, together with Dietrich
(< Theodoric/Þiudareiks) etc. The shift t>tz is due, I think, to the
fact that the word was borrowed into OHG at a time when the second
consonant shift was still active (around A.D. 500).
Regarding the relationship of Gothic with OHG, especially Old
Bavarian, I wrote largerly in an earlier message to this list (no.
2225). This relationship is however interpreted not through a Gothic
origin of OHG or Old Bavarian, but rather of a Gothic influence, that
was explained in two ways:
1. OHG owes a series of loanwords to Gothic, respectively to the
Gothic mission and its influence on the High German, especially
Bavarian church language.
2. According to other sources, since a Gothic mission in Bavaria is
not historically attested and few probable, having in view the
tolerance of the Arian-Gothic Christianity, the relations between
Gothic and southern OHG (especially O. Bav.) are more probably due to
the influence of Gothic-Christian population groups on the mixed
people of the Bavarians, that appeared suddenly about A.D. 500.
Probably that after the defeat of the Ostrogoths in Italy, some of
their remnants migrated northwards and participated in the
ethnogenesis of the Bavarian people, giving them some words and the
legend of Theodoric the Great (which became Dietrich von Bern in the
German mediaeval epic).

With best regards,

Francisc

Small business owners...