[gothic-l] Hansa (to Leonardo)

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jul 26 13:40:01 UTC 2001

Hi Leonardo,

This is a Common Germanic term (*xanso:), that was borrowed also in
Finno-Ugric and Slavic languages, e.g. Finnish kansa "group (of
people)", Slavonic xons-. In Gothic it is hansa "multitude, company,
band of men". The German word Hansa/Hanse seems to be not borrowed
from Gothic, but inherited from Common Germanic, like the Gothic word.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., Leonardo Hernandez-Cortez <leonardo_hc at y...>
wrote:
> Hails allaim!
>
> To everybody:
>
> I have read many times that the word "Hansa" as of the
> Hansa League is of gothic origin, is this true and if
> so how come considering that the Hansa League is from
> the middle ages, if Hansa means something, what does
> it mean ?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!