[gothic-l] Re: Gothic word for King

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 26 18:03:13 UTC 2001

A factoid that might be important to this conversation (But I don't
have time to write a better explaination) is that the -s nominative
ending began to drop in Later Gothic (it does not occur in the
bilingual land contracts, for example). This might have something to
do with forms like Alaricus instead of *Alarix (like Gauls get with
the same root). NIsi fallor, I did once find a Latin form of a Gothic
name that reflected the -s ending though, but off hand I can't recall
what it was.

JDM

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > Hi Francisc and Alberto,
> >
> > can I slip in a short question about these name-forms, please.
Are
> > names like Alareiks, Thiudareiks, Athalareiks etc. really
attested
> for
> > those kings? Would they themselves have used these forms or are
they
> > more theoretical reconstructions? In documents and on coins (for
the
> > latter two) they used of course the latinised forms Alaricus,
> > Theodericus and Athalaricus. Thus, Athalaric's full title on
coins
> is
> > D(ominus)N(oster) Athatalaricus Rix (sometimes, but rarely
replaced
> by
> > Rex). Why would the latinised form not be Athalareikus or similar
if
> > the commonly known and correct form of the name was Athalareiks?
>
> As far as I know, the Gothic forms Alareiks, Thiudareiks,
Athalareiks
> etc. are not attested, but induced from their latinized forms. Even
> Iordanes writes Alaricus (with variants: Halaricus, Alarichus),
> Amalaricus, Athalaricus rex etc. It is a general tendency in
> mediaeval documents to latinize non-Latin names by adding an "-us"
> ending. Regarding the "Rix" in "Athalaricus Rix", it can be
> interpreted in two ways:
> - the "I" of "RIX" is in fact a compressed "E"
> - a contamination between Lat. "rex" and Gothic "reiks", that
occured
> only in the independant word, but not in the proper names composed
> with "-reiks".
> In fact, I don't know, but it looks indeed very convenable to
> interprete "Alaricus" as "Alareiks", "Theodericus" as "Thiudareiks"
> etc.
>
> Francisc

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!