[gothic-l] Re: Sacrificial cycles

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Jul 27 00:54:39 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:

> Hi Troels,
>
> You lacked my commentary of sacrifice cycle for the continental
cult of
> Wodan before 475. Since it is the same as the cult of Óðinn, which
comes
> from the continent and because of that it is of course earlier on
the
> continent, the eight year Roman influenced cycle must is the rule
there
> too.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Hi Ingemar

Normally you talk about Gaut/Odin or Woden/Odin making Odin a
development from one or two gods, but you assumed Gaut to have a 19
years cycle. If you have nothing attested about the cycle of the
German Wodan before the calender of Aun began in 476, how do you then
know that his cycle was 8 and not 19 years like Gaut?

Isn't this a supposition too like Gaut?

Kindly
Troels

Small business owners...