[gothic-l] Re: Gothic word for King

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jul 27 09:37:51 UTC 2001

>When I asked about the word for King I was thinking of a word similar to the Cyng in OE.

Hello Le Bateman!

Snorri says that before a certain date the ON kings were not called "konungr", but "dróttinn". Here "drótt" means the group of armed men that follow a king. It is said that the suffix -inn is used to form the name of the leader from that which he leads. Thus in Gotic, the "people" was called þiuda (Thiuda*) and by adding the suffix -ans, you get the word þiudans (Thiudans), which means "leader of the people", hence king.

Best regards
Keth

*) Does my <thorn> come through all right? When I look in the yahoo archives, it looks okay to me. That is why I've assumed that it came through in email as well.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM