[gothic-l] Crimean Goths ? Where did they up at last ?

Leonardo Hernández-Cortez roderic_711 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri Jul 27 15:02:38 UTC 2001

Hello, here I go again with some other
questions(unfortunately I can't really give you all a
brief summary of the vandal article right now since
I've got access to the net only at work for the moment
and I haven't got much time )
I'm extremely interested in knowing more about the
Crimean Goths.
I've seen some pages on the internet about them (can't
remember where)but I would like to know, also in case
the information has been erroneous.

Where the Crimean Goths descendants of the Ostrogoths
who stayed there in spite of the hunnic attacks ?

I've read that in 13th century and 16th century some
flemish diplomats met people on crimea who spoke
"ydioma teutonicum" and it's know that 18th century is
the last time anybody hears anything about them,
or...?
I've read that it was in one of the many  deportation
campaigns done in the name Catherine the Great that
the Goths finally vanished from history, or...?
Is it really then the very last time anyone hears from
them(witness accounts, encounters, etc.. )
And where to did they get deported ?
Are there still any villages or just places in general
left in Crimea or even Ucraine/Moldova/Bielorussia who
still bears any name related to them ?
<-- I ask this question because I would like to know
if there's any equivalent to the swedish case, i e, in
Ucraine there is still a very very very tiny community
who speaks swedish(rather 18th century than the modern
one ) .

Is there any book on the Crimean Goths or/and Crimean
Gothic ?
Is Crimean gothic(I've read that it's really a dialect
only ) very different from "the original" language ?
Any influences from other cultures(slavs, turks,
greeks...) ?

And finally, is it despite everything.. still spoken ?

Thank you very much in advance and I apologize for
everything, sorry.

Yours Sincerely and greetings from Stockholm,
Leonardo.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!