[gothic-l] Re: Article on the Vandals

Sigmund sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Sat Jul 28 08:51:41 UTC 2001

Been there, seen that!

Leonardo "Hernández-Cortez" <roderic_711 at yahoo.co.uk
wrote:

> In today's edition of Dagens Nyheter there's a quite
> interesting article on the Vandals.
>
> Dagens Nyheter:
>
> http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?p=DNet&d=111&a=218284&f=vandalerna.htm
>

> Cheers,
> Leonardo.

Truckloads of thanks, Leonardo. The article is an excellent review of the exhibition on the Vandals
in the small provincial town of Varnamo in south central Sweden (on E4), still open one more month or so.
I happen to live one hours drive north thereof so I took the opportunity to visit it last week and stayed
there amazed, stunned, speechless. The items are genuine Vandalic gems drawn from many major
museums in Europe, Africa and the Vaticans. The Vendel helmets !! (Sutton Hoo connection) Coins!
Original wooden inscriptions from the days of Thrasamund! Etc etc.
Much to my delight the accompanying book is now available in German and English. Beautiful pics!
Price in the order of € 27,50. Well worth it. Also for the thorough review of available documented timeline
for the history of the Vandalians.

I will try to write about the exhibition and the book here and crosspost to Germanic-L, hopefully
being able to scan in some of the material and make it available to you.

However! While we read about our neighbour Poland being drenched under water we in south Sweden
have had weeks of hot and sunny weather and no change in sight.. Given the short summers of ultima
Thule I prefer to be outdoors, socializing, being with grandkids etc. Be patient.

Until then: Get a flair of the exhibition on

http://www.varnamo.se/  => Click on "Museum Vandalorum"!!

 Yours

Sekimuntr

Small business owners...