[gothic-l] OT - LOTR Movies - David Salo gets a mention

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Sat Jul 28 10:35:50 UTC 2001

I'm not sure if David Salo is still a gothic-l member - I hope so,
since I always found his posts very useful, especially his Gothic
lessons.  Anyway, while browsing one of the sites devoted to the
upcoming movies of Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings' I found a mention
of him in this article on the use of Tolkien's languages in the film:

http://www.lordoftherings.net/bweld/bweld_text.html

I gather he's one of the linguistic consultants on the project, though
any more information would be appreciated.  Of course, it was
Tolkien's life-long love affair with the Gothic language which got him
into philology (he studied Gothic and Germanic philology under Joseph
Wright at Oxford) and which led to his invention of his own languages
and, ultimately, to the writing of his fiction.  Which is my way of
making this post vaguely on topic. ;>
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill

Small business owners...