Comparing languages. Examples [gothic-l]

cstrohmier at YAHOO.COM cstrohmier at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 30 18:54:41 UTC 2001

Hi Francisc,
	Thanks for the words of support, and for your detailed and
thoughtful answer.  I appreciate that.  I'm sure all of the theories
for dividing up Germanic have their pluses and minuses.  I would
favor modifying the traditional threefold division of Germanic
languages into four:  North Germanic, East Germanic, South Germanic,
and West Germanic.  My South Germanic would include only Southern
German:  I would put Dutch and Low German in West Germanic, and
Bavarian in East Germanic.  This would make West Germanic close to
North Germanic; North Germanic close to East Germanic; East Germanic
close to South Germanic; and to close the circle, South Germanic
close to West Germanic.  I would also favor a close connection
between "Elbe Germanic" and "Oder-Vistula Germanic", not only during
their time of residency in East Germany, but also later when they
took up residence beside each other in Southern Germany.  In a lot of
ways your interpretation is close to mine.
Sincerely yours,
Cory

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> Hi Cory,
>
> it seems that you was right to doubt the fact that the
ressemblances
> between Gothic and OHG, especially Old Bavarian, are due only to
some
> influence of Gothic on OHG/O.Bav. (through a presumed Gothic-Arian
> mission or through Gothic refugees from Italy that were assimilated
by
> the Bavarians, or both). Indeed, the day names and some
ecclesiastic
> terms are explainable through a Gothic-Arian mission among the
> Bavarians (hypothesis that is considered however few probable by
some
> authors, see my message to the Gothic-L no. 2225). But there are
also
> some systemic parallelisms (phonetic features, pronominal forms,
word
> usage) that would be hardly explainable even through a presumed
Gothic
> substratum or adstratum in Old Bavarian, due to Ostrogothic
refugees
> from North Italy that were assimilated by the Bavarians.
> As I stated in previous messages, apparently the three main
branches
> of Germanic, i.e. East-, West- and North Germanic are clearly
> individualized.
> Considering only some major criteria, West- and North- Germanic
have
> in common the evolutions z>r and e:>a:, opposing them to East
Germanic
> in general (not only Gothic), but East Germanic (Gothic) and North
> Germnic have in common the shift -jj->-ggj- (Goth. -ddj-) and
> -ww->-ggw-, that are not to be found in West Germanic. Moreover,
the
> North Germanic languages, beginning with the Old Norse time, have
all
> (including Gutnish) other definitory characteristics: the loss of
> initial j-, the loss of initial w- before o/u, the loss of final -n
> after unstressed vowel, the "breaking" of e before a and u.
> Thus: North Germanic languages are clearly delimited;
> East Germanic languages: Gothic is clearly delimited, and it seems
> that its definitory characteristics are shared also by the other
East
> Germanic languages (Gepidic, Vandalic, etc.)
> But West Germanic is not so clearly defined.
> There are indeed some characteristic West Germanic features:
> - the "West Germanic consonant legthening": all consonants
(excepting
> r) are lengthened before j (in Gothic there is no such lengthening,
> whereas in North Germanic only the velars are lengthened), e.g.
Goth.
> bidjan, ON biðia, but. OE biddan, OHG pittan (Germ. bitten);
Goth.
> sibja, but O.Sax. sibbia, OHG sippe;
> - the change z>r before d (in Gothic the z is preserved, and in
North
> Gmc. occured the assimilation zd>dd), e.g. Goth. huzd, ON hodd, OE
> hord, OHG hort;
> - the loss of final -z (that appears in Gothic as -s, in Proto-
Nordic
> as "soft" -R and in the later Old North Germaic languages as -r):
> Goth. gasts, Proto-Nordic -gastiR, ON gestr, but OHG gast. But in
the
> later Gothic appears also the tendency of loss of final -s, and the
> absence of final -z (-r) in West Germanic is explainable also by
its
> later attestation;
> - the short i and u disappear in unstressed position after long
> syllable, but are kept after short syllable, e.g.: Goth. sunus, OHG
> sunu "son", but Goth. handus, OHG hant "hand";
> - the change ð>d, according to Verner's law, in all positions
(in
> North Germanic only initially and after e):
> Goth. fadar (pronounced faðar), ON faðir, but OE fæder,
O.Sax.
fader,
> OHG fater;
> - the 2nd person singular of the preterite shows the Ablaut degree
of
> the plural: Goth. gaft, but OHG gábi "you gave".
> But beside these changes that are common for West Germanic and not
> found in East- and North Germanic, there are ressemblances of
certain
> subgroups of West Germanic either with Gothic or with North
Germanic.
> Gothic-High German (especially Old Bavarian) ressemblances:
> - the preservation of nasals before fricatives: Goth. fimf, OHG
finf,
> but O.Sax., O.Fris., OE fîf "five";
> - the pronoun "he": Goth. is, OHG (O.Bav.) er, but OE he, O.Fris.
hi,
> he, O.Sax. hê, hie, OHG (Franc.) he(r)
> - the preservation of the "iu" diphthong<Common Gmc. *eu:
> Goth., OHG (O.Bav.) liugan, but OHG (Franc.) leogan, liogan, O.Sax.
> liogan, O.Fris. liaga, OE léogan "to lie";
> Goth. diups, OHG (O.Bav.) tiuf, but OHG (Franc.) tiof, diof, O.Sax.
> diop, diap, O.Fris. diap, OE déop "deep".
> These features may be considered common archaisms, thus not so
> relevant as common innovations would be, but the non-High German
> West-Germanic languages, especially the Anglo-Frisian languages,
have
> common innovations with the North Germanic languages:
> - the loss of nasals before fricatives, especially before s:
> Goth. ansts, OHG anst, but OE ést, ON ist "favour, grace"
> Goth. uns(-is), OHG uns(-ih), but O.Sax. ús, OE ús(-ic), ON
ós, øss
> "us"
> - the early loss of h between vowels: Goth. saihvan, OHG sehen, but
OE
> séon, sian, ON sjá "to see"
> - the Umlaut caused by a following i or u, in North Germanic and
Old
> English; in High German there is only i-Umlaut and it occured much
> later than in English and North Germanic.
> Because of these and other facts, not everybody agrees with the
> classical tripartition East/West/North Germanic. In some books the
> Germanic languages are classified in East Germanic (Gothic), North
> Germanic (Scandinavic and Anglo-Frisian) and South Germanic
(High&Low
> German and Dutch). Other authors are considering five primary
branches
> of Germanic:
> 1. North-Germanic (Scandinavic)
> 2. Oder-Vistula Germanic or East-Germanic or "Illevionic" (Gothic,
> Vandalic, Burgundian)
> 3. Elbe-Germanic or "Hermionic", later Danubian-Alpine Germanic
> (Semnoni, Hermunduri, Thuringians, Langobards, Marcomanni and
Quadi,
> Bavarians and Alemanni). Here originated the OHG
> 4. Weser-Rhine Germanic or "Istvaeonic" (Francs and Hessians)
> 5. North-Sea Germanic or Anglo-Frisian or "Ingvaeonic" (Angles,
> Saxons, and Frisians)
> Thus, a primary West-Germanic unity is contested. The concordances
> between the primary branches 3, 4, and 5 are regarded rather as a
> secondary convergent evolution of these three primitive dialects of
> Germanic, also as a result of the political and cultural unity in
the
> frame of the Frankish state. The concordances between Gothic and
High
> German are regarded in this interpretation as a result of the
original
> neighborhood of Oder-Vistula Germanic and Elbe-Germanic and thus a
> closer relationship between the two primitive Germanic dialects.
> Similarly, the concordances between North-Germanic and North-Sea
> Germanic could be regarded as a result of the original proximity of
> these two Germanic dialects. Finally, Weser-Rhine-Germanic is
> somewhere between North-Sea-Germanic and Elbe-Germanic.
> All the above considerations are a result of a synthesis of the
data
> found in my usual sources:
> - Stefan Sonderegger: Althochdeutsche Sprache und Literatur, de
>   Gruyter, Berlin - New York, 1987
> - Werner König: DTV-Atlas zur deutschen Sprache, Deutscher
Taschenbuch
>   Verlag, München, 1996
> - Virgil Stefanescu-Draganesti: Introduction to the Comparative
>   Grammar of the Germanic Languages, University of Bucharest, 1971
> And now my conclusion: twe five branches of Germanic are the result
of
> five primitive dialects of Common Germanic, that formed a
continuum,
> i.e. each dialect had common characteristic with the neighboring
> dialects. Taking into account also the common characteristics of
> Gothic and North-Germanic, we could imagine a circular continuum (a
> "dialect-ring"):
>
>                          North-Germanic
>                         /              \
>             North-Sea-Germanic         East-Germanic
>                         |               |
>              Weser-Rhine-Germanic - Elbe-Germanic
>
> Regarding the relationship of Gothic with OHG (especially Old
> Bavarian), I think that their special concordances could be
> explainable by all the three arguments:
> - a primitive dialectal proximity of Elbe-Germanic (the ancestor of
> OHG) and Oder-Vistula-Germanic (the ancestor of Gothic):
responsible
> for the general (systemic) ressemblances (phonetic features,
> pronouns);
> - the assimilation of Goths refugees by the Old Bavarians:
responsible
> for the occurence of Gothic words regarding every-day life in
> OHG/O.Bav. (e.g. Goth. paida > OHG pfeit, Mod.Bav Pfait "shirt")
> - the influence of a Gothic-Arian mission on the Old Bavarians
(names
> of the days and some religious terms, see my message to the Gothic-
> no. 2225, and word usage parallelism between OHG and Gothic).
> What do you think, is this interpretation more reasonable?
>
> With best regards,
>
> Francisc

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!