[gothic-l] Possible Gothic Origin - Cultic, Linguistic and Historical References

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Tue Jul 31 12:33:08 UTC 2001

Bertil wrote:

>The great majority that accepts Scandza/Scandinavia as the
>likely origin of the Goths is a qualified majority of post-WWII
>scholars.

What do you mean by "post-WII scholars"?
( somebody educated after 1945?)

>fter all there are other Gothicisms
>such as Danish, Austrian, Spanish and British with sometimes
>other angles. If the present scholarship on the Goths would
>be a limited Swedish matter, then there would a massive Swedish
>literature on the Goths in recent years. But that is not the
>case. Instead recent scholarship are of Austrian, German
>and once, I think, of British origin.

You mean: IF the present scholarship on the Goths would
be limited to Sweden THEN "there would a massive Swedish
>literature on the Goths in recent years" ?

Not necessarily.

Why would "limitation" logically speaking, imply "a massive literature"?

In fact, I do not understand very well what you mean by
the above statement, or which is the point you wish to make.

I understand it as a kind of attempt to draw up statistics
of scholars' opinion on the question og Gothic origins.
But how do you define scholar. Do you mean everyone who
has published on the matter? According to what criteria
did you then select the journals that were the basis of
your statistical investigations. And what time-period
did you investigate?

Keth

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!