[gothic-l] Amali insignia

Beril Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Jul 31 14:51:58 UTC 2001

Albareiks,

Returning to insignia the only ones in the Germanic
sphere I can think of is the sealring of the Frank King
Childerich (dead 482). The king's grave was
found already in 1653 at St. Brice (there are as far as I know
very few if any preserved identified Germanic royal
graves). The sealring found in Belgium is no longer
preserved in the original. It is oval in form
showing the face of the king, no beard but long
hair and the text Childerici regis.

The custom of sealring was, however, Roman.

Is it this type of royal insignia you are searching
for in the case of the Amali?

Gothically

Bertil

> A short while ago, I asked if anyone knew a place where depictions of the
> Amali royal insignia can be found, but no one provided such a reference.
> Since I have read about it in a number of places, either a depiction of it
> must survive somewhere, or else there must be a description of it in some
> primary source.  Someone on this list must know where such a depiction or
> primary source can be found.  I would greatly appreciate your help.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM