[gothic-l] Re: Cultic leauges

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jun 1 13:41:41 UTC 2001

> A cultic league for example must not, or rather should not, be
connected
> with overruling political power over the peoples being part of the
> league. There are a number of politically independent
> peoples/tribes/gentes who share the same cultic system.

Walter Pohl (Die Germanen) summarises the current state of research on
those 'cultic leagues', i.e. the 'old and true names' of Tacitus at
some length. One of the findings is that the significance of these
leagues was likely overrated by historians in the past. Overall, there
 seems to be very little agreement and understanding of what this
concept was and how it would translate into our terminology.

I think it was Lund who emphasised the importance of the Marcomanni
for the Suevi. On the one hand the Suevian Langobards were located at
a considerable geographical distance from the Suevian Marcomanni and
Quadi. On the other hand, the Elbe river may have been a unifying
link. Langobards did participate significantly in the Marcomannic wars
 in the 2nd century AD and archaeologists state that both Langobards
and Marcomanni are closely linked through a common Elbe-Germanic
material culture.

A soon as
one
> people takes command of the other the leauge is beginning to break
down
> to finally become  a wealth,realm, state or what you prefer. My
thesis
> says we originally before c:a 500 BC in Northern Europe and
Scandinavia
> had a number of tribes with fertility cult where the sun and the
moon
> were the main powers ruling the vegetational year.

I suppose Sun and Moon were revereed as gods in many cultures at this
time, perhaps in all of Europe and beyond....

The king in
> respective tribe/people was the reborn sungod  Ingr/Úllr. His title
was
> the sun-king which in Old Nordic is Svíakonungr and the tribes
making up
> this cultic leauge  was by outsiders called Suiþioþ, the sun people.

Where do you derive these names from? What is the evidence for you
assertation that outsiders called this league by the name Suithioth?

> They all, I must underline, were politically independent with own
sacral
> kings ruling but they all had the same interest to keep the common
> motivation for power - they were all the sun god reborn guaranteeing
> fertility and crop.

There is a recent study of germanic 'Fuerstengraeber', i.e. princely
graves by Fehr. The authors uses the temporal and geographic spread of
 those graves to determine the development of social sturctures in the
early 'Germanic' world. He finds that the earliest princely graves
occur in Bohemia/Moravia in the 1st cent. AD and may be linked to the
Marcomanni. From there the distribution of princely graves progressess
northwards, with the so called Luebsow-graves in Thuringia,
Brandenburg and Lower Saxony forming the biggest group. The first
princely grave in Scandinavia appears in the 2nd/3rd century in
Norway, but the original excavators stated that its content is so
completely continental that there is a strong possibility that this
prince came from the continent, most likely Jutland. In addition, the
fact that the word reiks was apparently borrowed from Celtic
underlines that social development spread from south to north.

> When the conditions for agriculture grew worse and climate colder
the
> old chiefdoms were split up by new colonisation of small family
farms
> having their own fields and more depending on cattle living close to
the
> farm  and in stable during winter. This seriously diminished the
> influence of the former chiefs and they had to seek new motivation
for
> power. Now Gaut  seems to be more actual as a probably both
fertility
> and schamanistic creator god. The new chiefs claimed genetical
heritage
> directly from Gaut and also saw him  as origin of the people. Like
later
> Óðinn the warriors were initiated to the god and in battle  and
during
> initiation the chief/king was in fact the god. This does not affect
the
> common people but just the warriors and cultic performers.

What is the timeframe for this? You are presupposing a social layering
in commoners, nobles and kings, but the research on 'Fuerstengraeber'
suggests that such a structure came about rather late in Scandinavia.

It was
part
> of the service by the chief to arrange cultic secret men's leauges
> frighten demons from the field. In other ways the commoners
continued to
> worship the old fertility gods  but later Ingr changed name to Frejr
and
> Ingun to Freja with the coming continental cult of óðinn which
merged
> with the old cult of Gaut - also for warriors and chiefs only.

What is the basis for the assertation that Ingr became Frejr and Ingun
became Freja? And why is the Odin cult continental in origin?

These
new
> folks can be regarded as a new cultic leauge breaking loose from the
old
> and not politically united. They were named after their creator god
but,
> as I said, the commoners cultic habits did not change. A lot of
royal
> houses claim heritage after Gaut/Geat/Gausus et c. They all share
one
> thing - they provably originated in the Scandinavian and North
German
> area or claim haing done so. Accordingly Gaut is tied to Scandinavia
> with surroundings and his old name still lives stromng in Sweden
with
> Westwern Gautland and Eastern Gautland and the Island of Gotland,
former
> Gutland.
>
> The old league that started to fall together is indicated by Tacitus
> pointing out the Semnones as organiser of the Suebian league. This
is
> but a rest of the old leauge and in fact it is only an almost
succesfull
> try to create a state ruled by the Semnones.

Actually, Pohl argues -citing Lund-  that the earlier interpretation
which wanted to asign a special role to the Semnones were a misreading
of Tacitus. The famous 'Semnonenhain' may only have been a cultic
place of the Semnones themselves.

The Nerthus tribes are
also
> remnants of this leauge.

Kuhn and Kossack (Voelker zwischen Germanen und Kelten) say that the
Nerthus tribes of Jutland were not Suevi if I remember correctly, but
I cannot see how this is provalbe.

Suebes, accordingly, also are the sun
people.

Interestingly, Caesar reported that the Usipii and Tencteri, who were
not Suevi reported that the Suevi were the most glorious and powerful
of all people east of the Rhine and '...that not even the importal
gods are equal to the Suevi...'. (whatever that meant).

> The common cultic tie for the Goths/Gauts/Gutones/Gutar/Ýtas(Jutes)
is
> accordingly the uniform motivation of power by their rulers. This
cult,
> as I have shown in my thesis, is also indirectly performed in the
cult
> of Ingr/Frejr, the popular cult. Hence also this cult is important
for
> power control. That's why Athanaric was so rude in  hunting
Christian
> Goths but not Roman Christians. The cult was the glue keeping up the
> Gothic ethnicity and hence the willingness to accept the old sacral
> king, whose late sucessor was Athanaric who performed the same
functions
> to keep the people united and to head denfence  when attacked. Later
> the old cult was replaced by Arianism securing that the Roman
influences
> on the Goths was minor and so the reiks, kindins was no more, could
> continue to rule by the old premises.
>
> The cult and  claimed heritage of Gaut originates in Scandinavia but
we
> have no massive emigration.

Yes, that is also Wolframs view and I find that (IMHO) very reasonalbe
myself, especially as it resolves the archaelogical problems.

I would say regarding the archaeologucal
> evidence I have found there ought to have been three separate
> emigrations at least and all the time small groups. In the first
round
> people of Gotland and Östergötland/Småland should be involved
creating
> trade posts in the amber trade and also known by Pytheas.

As Andreas Schwarcz explained recently on the list, Pytheas never
actually mentioned the Goths or Gothones.

About the status of the latest archaeological research on the Goth in
northern Poland, Tadeusz Makiewicz wrote:

"Recent archaeological research and lengthy debate on this subject
have, however, established that the Wielbark Culture did not simply
come into being as a result of the arrival of tribes of Scandinavian
Goths in Pomerania. Instead, it evolved from the development of the
local Oksywie Culture, possibly having been subject to outside
influences from Scvandinavia. This is evidenced primarily by the fact
that in its initial phase, the Wielbark Culture had exactly the same
territorial extent as the  Oksywie Culture, many cemeteries having
been kept in continued use by these two societies. Wielbark
communities comprised mostly members of tribes already settled in this
area with the addition of Scandinavian migrants, who maybe arrived
here in small groups."

This about
> 350-300 BC. Also the language  should come from that period. The
second
> group, both Swedes,Jutes and Norwegians - The Kattegat group - is
due
> about the beginning of our era and have a burial tradition like what
you
> find in West Sweden. The third part is the multiochtonous forming of
the
> Gepidic tribe around the Sambian peninsula with people from all over
> Scandinavia and the former Wielbark culture.

There are no Wielbark or Masovia culture graves on the Sambian
peninsula (Samland). Most archaeologists argue that the Gepids formed
in the Vistula delta entirely out of the remnants of the Wielbark
people without any migrantions.

http://www.muzarp.poznan.pl/archweb/gazociag/title5.htm

This   reshapes the
> Wielbark culture to a cultic league of different tribes with
different
> biological ethnicity. Heather specially remarks that the whole
culture
> reminds of a cultic league.
>
> As i see it also the Vandals and the Burgundians, possibly also the
> Langobards, have broken from the same Suiþioþ leauge and  might have
> been part of the Gautic tribes but not adapted the name of the God
> the tribe.

This list must also include the Saxons, who believed that Hatha-Gaut
was their ancestral god and the Thuringians who had a founder god
calld Gaus, but who at the same time were Suevic Hermunduri unlike the
Saxons. But that also the Langobards were Suevi (Very confusing).

cheers