[gothic-l] Huns, Sarmatians, Alans...

Nikolai gothologist at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 1 14:59:07 UTC 2001

> Certainly Alans accompanied the Vandals in their
> peregrinations but similar
> processes would have applied to the Sarmations, Huns, etc who
> were caught up
> in the various movements resulting in the Visi/Ostrogothic
> entities of the
> fifth and sixth century.  While I have seen the term used,
> it's rarely
> accompanied by a concise definition of what it would mean to
> an individual of
> Sarmation, Alan or Hunnic extraction.

Since this hath come up a number of times, loosely, ...I want to
ask a question. Ok, 2 questions.

1. What exactly is the dividing line between this group (Rus,
Kievan, Sarmatian, Scythian, Alan, Hun) ...and this group (Goth,
Gepid, Vandal, Burgundian, Lombard, Germanic, etc.)?
I mean culturally, linguistically, ethnically, whatever. I
always thought of the groupings of people as different as
Egyptians and Mongolians. Are they much more closely tied
together somehow?

And
2. Anyone know of any really good books pertaining mostly to the
Huns, Sarmatians, Kurgens, etc.? ok... let me rephrase that.
Really good books In English.
This is my first semester in Deutschkurs, so it will be about a
year before I can adeptly read anything in Deutsch. And My latin
sux, my spanish is rusty, and I know about 3 words (orally) in
Russian.

Yes, yes... I'm linguistically illiterate, but I am slowly
catching up.

=====
äî ñâèäàíüÿ.
Nikolai
^^O^^
http://www.geocities.com/gothwitches
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dreamed before." ~ Edgar Allen Poe