[gothic-l] Lars Munkhammar Two

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Jun 3 09:59:56 UTC 2001

The Goths were a Germanic people and the Gothic language
was a Germanic language. As the Goths were wandering, many
foreign words were adapted to their language. And as the Goths
met the Romans very often and lived together with Romans for
long times, the influence of Latin was important to the Gothic
language. The Goths were not a writing people, and our possibility
today to study their language is very limited. What the Goths
left to posterity of literature is a translation of the Bible and
more-over very few fragments of text. Even the Bible translation
is very fragmentarily preserved: the Silver Bible, a Gospel book,
even that in fragments. Then we can understand the great importance
of this manuscript as a source for philological research!

Beside the Silver Bible, we can find Gothic text today in a few
palimpsests, some marginal notes in a manuscript, and some
small fragment of a Gothic manuscript. The palimpsests are the
Codex Carolinus in Wolfenbüttel, the Codices Ambrosiani in Milan,
the Codex Taurinensis in Torino, and the Skeireins in Milan and
in the Vatican Library. The marginal notes are found in the so called
Codex Veronensis, and a short fragment is for instance the Codex
Gissensis, a Gothic-Latin dubble leaf found in Egypt and destroyed
by a flood in Giessen in Germany in the nineteen-forties.

The Gothic bible translation was made by the Visigothic bishop
Wulfila. His name means »the little wolf«. Wulfila, who died in 381
or some years thereafter, was bishop of »Gothia«, for those
Christians who lived in the Gothic settlement north of the river Danube.
Wulfila was an Arian Christian, and the Goths were Arians. We cannot
deal with the concept here, but it meant that Wulfila did not accept the
doctrine of the Trinity such as it had been stated at the Council of Nice
in 325. Wulfila translated the Bible from Greek, and he seems to have
used several Greek versions. The tradition tells that he translated the
entire Bible except for the books of Kings. They were too martial, and
the Goths did not need any martial encouragement. One important task
for Wulfila beside the translation seems to have been the Christian
mission. Like many other missionaries after him, Wulfila was a typographic
pioneer, if we can use this term for the era of hand-writing. Probably it was
he, who constructed the Gothic alphabet, and probably he did it for the
Gothic Bible translation. The Goths had earlier used the runic alphabet.
The runes has also contributed to Wulfila's Gothic alphabet with some
characters, but on the whole this is based on the Greek alphabet.

So, back to the Ostrogoths in Italy! Theodoric the Great was the
Ostrogothic king during the first period of the Gothic hegemony in
Italy. He was born in the middle of the fifth century, and he died in
526. He was the king of the Goths in Italy, but also the king of the
Romans in Italy. He used the title Gothorum romanorumque rex.
He was the leader of a tribe of barbarians, warriors and Arians
the Ostrogoths were still Arians as bishop Wulfila once had been.
But Theodoric in Italy is not just a king, he acts like a Roman emperor.
He builds churches and palaces, he stamps coins with his own picture,
he uses the purple colour with permission from the Eastern Emperor.
He builds his capital Ravenna with Constantinople as a pattern. He
gives the Romans panem et circensem, and they call him »Trajan«
and »Valentinian«. The civil administration in Theodoric's Italy was
Roman, and its language was Latin. Theodoric's prime minister was
Cassiodorus, a noble Roman magistrate, later one of the early cloister founders in Italy.

It was a question of great Gothic national prestige, that the Arians
should have as splendid churches as the Catholics. But the ecclesiastical
life required not only impressive buildings and beautiful liturgical dresses.
It also required the sacred Scriptures, preferably in magnificent books.
The Silver Bible was such a book. Perhaps the most beautiful one, but
we do not know for sure. And so Ravenna began to be a center even
for book-writing.

Within thirty years after Theodoric's death in 526 the Gothic empire in
Italy was over. The Eastern Empire had conquered the land during the
long so-called »Gothic war«. What happened to the Silver Bible? We
do not know. In the monastery Werden upon Ruhr the manuscript was
discovered in the middle of the sixteenth century, probably by two theologians
from Cologne, Georg Cassander and Cornelius Wouters. At least they
knew about it, which we can see from their correspondence with other scholars.
How did the manuscript wander from Ravenna to Werden? We do not know.
This is the Mystery of the Thousand Years. Many scolars have been occupied
with this mystery, and when the Speyer leaf - or the Haffner leaf, as it is
called after its finder was discovered in 1970, the speculations started again,
and were much connected to the question of how and when the Haffner leaf
was separated from the manuscript. There are in principal three main theories.

To be continued