[gothic-l] Heyerdahl, the Goths and the Aesir

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Jun 5 14:46:33 UTC 2001

Keth,

Thank you for your interesting linguistical
comments. As you may have seen from my latest
contribution (if you have not seen it I would
be happy to send you a copy) Dr. Heyerdahl
has mentioned the possibility of ans-. But the
main alternative would in my opinion be as- although
oss- of course corresponds closely with the fact
the connection Aser/Asar - Alans - Ossetians.

Finally one can only hope that the planned expedition
of Dr. Heyerdahl in the project "Odin in Azov" is
successful and furthermore this has much to do also with the Goths and the Eruli in the area, especially the
Eruli. He refers to a number of medieval sources. One can only wish Dr. Heyerdahl success and it is
not surprising that he in his interpretation looks to
the great Snorri Sturluson of Iceland. I think it is
important to remember that Snorri probably had access
to information on the Caucasus region and Tanais/Azov, when he wrote the Ynglingasaga.

Best Gothic regards

Bertil