[gothic-l] Re: The Goths, Gutland (Gutones) and the Guta Saga

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jun 8 13:36:52 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> Everybody who can read Gothic should be able to read the Gutasaga in
its
> original language Gutnish (Gotlandic).
> There is a German translation but no English translation.
> Tore

Hi Tore,

that is very interesting, because that implies that Gothic is not an
extinct language after all, given that there are still some 2000
speakers of Gutnish (Gotlandic) around. Can you provide some examples
of the Gutnish language Tore.

I only found the following numerals in Old-Gutnish:

1. ann
2. tueir
3. ?
4. fiaurir
5. ?
6. ?
7. siau

I don't know Gothic, so perhaps somebody on the list could tell us,
whether this is sufficiently close to Gothic to allow for mutual
intelligibility. Does anybody have the Gothic numerals 1-10?

cheers,
Dirk