[gothic-l] Re: The Goths, Gutland (Gutones) and the Guta Saga

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Tue Jun 12 09:53:52 UTC 2001

"Mangir kunungar striþu a Gutland miþan haiþit war; þau hieldu Gutar
iemlika sigri oc ret sinum. Siþan sentu Gutar sendimen manga
til Swiarikis, en engin þaira ficc friþ gart, fyrr þan Awair Strabain
af Alfa socn, hann gierþi fyrsti friþ wiþr Swia kunung."Many kings
fought against Gutland during heathen times; though the
Gutars always won and their ways were kept. Then the Gutars
sent many envoys to Sweden, though no one managed to bring peace
before Awair Strabain from Alfa. He was the first one who
brought peace with the King of Sweden."

Hi Dirk,

I'm just an amateur, but I think this really look swedishish to me. i
think I would understand a good part of it given a few moments
thought. Not to say that I would understand gutnish fast SPOKEN very
good ( if it 's still alive).  I would definitely not understand
gothic, and I really do't understand why people say that this and
that swedish dialect is gothic. I think e. g. that this is also said
about "västgötska" due to the word öfsadröp, wich I think is "drip
from the roof" in english.
 Or am I wrong in thinking that gutnish is closely related to
swedish? Clearly this must have  be looked upon many times before.

Best Wishes
Anders