[gothic-l] Re: Christianisation of Crimean Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 14 07:54:24 UTC 2001

Dear Andreas,

can I ask on what basis the statement that Gothic permanent settlement
on the Crimean started only as late as the late 4th century (in
connection with the Hunnic advance)? I know Heather and others agree
with that, but I read in recent Russian archaeological articles that
the Chernyakov-culture cemetaries on the Crimean (like Sevastopolskii
Sovkhos, Belbek, Ai-todor, Chernaya reka, Chartirdag at the south
coast of the Crimean) were mostly new graveyards that started in the
mid 3rd-century.

Similarly, one author Aleksandr Aibabin, also stated that the Germanic
settlement of the Crimean peninsula started at the end of the first
half of the 3rd century (ca. 250AD). In the 240s AD the Roman army
withdrew from that area to defend the Danube frontier and the Raetian
limes.

cheers
Dirk