[gothic-l] Goths, Gutland and Krym

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jun 14 17:32:45 UTC 2001

Esteemed listmembers,

It is of course important to note that the ancient home of the Krym Goths
is now part of the Republic of Ukraine, not the Russian Federation,
although 65 percent are Russians, 25 percent Ukrainians and
8 percent Tartars. The capital of Krym, Simferopol, was built on
the site of the 15th-century Tartar settlement Ak Masjid (White Mosque).
The situation is very similar to Latvia, where the Latvians are
almost a minority in their own country.

In the Soviet empire the Krymean Goths could not be studied but
presently there is of course a change toward academic freedom
and a growing possibility to study the history of the Krym Goths.

There are a few interesting links between Old Gutnish and Gothic,
which I would like to bring to the attention of the linguists of the
list.

The first Gutnish word is "saud"  (well). In Gothic there is the
word sauds (sacrifice). The etymology may be linked
to simmer, seethe, Sw. sjuda.

Another interesting word in Gutnish is "vard" (string
of stone, Sw. stenstraeng). Gothic wasti means "disguise".
In Krym Gothic there is the word "stega" meaning twenty, Sw.
tjugo.

Do any of our linguistic experts have any theories on these words?

Gothically

Bertil