[gothic-l] Re: i forngutniskan

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 16 15:08:04 UTC 2001

Hails Bertil!

ik qaþ
What is the date of this text.

 "Om gutarna paa Gotland och goterna i Weichselområdet
 ursprungligen var samma folk, torde de aennu under de
 foersta aarhundradena e. Kr. ha talat vaesentligen samma
 spraak, ett spraak som in sin senare utveckling i Sydeuropa
 framtraeder som gotiska. Sannolikt har detta moderspraaket
 foer gotiskan och forngutniskan icke skilt sig alltfoer
 mycket fraan den samtida urnordiskan. I varje fall aer lik-
 heterna med gotiskan ingenstaedes i Norden saa stora
 som i forngutniskan".

þu qast
Answer: 20th century and written by Professor
Elias Wessén.
The similarities are so great that they cannot just be ignored.
The name gutar is exactly the same as "gutans". Naturally
the fact that the original name of the island was Gutland cannot
be ignored either.

ik qaþ
I misread your post, apologies. I thought you were taking a Gutnish
text and comparing it to Gothic as I have seen done before,when in
fact, you were taking a quote from a Danish? scholar from his
language. If somebody has excerpts from Gutnish?, please post some of
it, I would like to compare it.

Golja thuk,
Anþanareiks