[gothic-l] Lay of Theodoric the Goth

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Jun 17 17:10:10 UTC 2001

Anthanareiks,

This is not a fragment (?) but one of Scandinavia's
most famous runestones (the Roekstone). The
Gothic related part is:

raith thia u ikR hin thu r muthi stiliR
f l utna strantu hrathmarar stir nu karur g
k u ta sin um skial ti ath R skati  mar l ka

In modern Swedish:

Daa raadde Tjodrik
den dristige,
sjoekrigarnas hoevding
oever Reidhavets kust.
Nu sitter han rustad
paa sin gotiska haest,
med skoeld oever axeln,
den fraemste av maeringar.

These are lines 9-11 of in all 28.

See in English Loennroth, Lars, "The Riddles of the Roek-Stone:
A Structural Approach", Lund (1977)

Gothically

Bertil