[gothic-l] Re: Snorri and skaldskaparmal

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Mon Jun 18 19:57:19 UTC 2001

Hi Keth and everybody,

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Anders,
> Just a note on ON "meginland":
> An Icelander told me that this corresponds fairly closely to
> the similar sounding English "mainland".
> Heggstad has "hovudland, fastland", which agrees.

On this  translation I trust  Karl G Johansson an Mats Malm, who
translates the oldICELANDIC word with "Fastland".  According to
prismas Engelska ordbok it's continent;( opposite to islands
) mainland. However, I would say that the definition mainland
opposite to islands is the best translation.
Since I myself comes from blekinge with losts of islands along the
coast  - Even the center of Karlskrona is on an island- for me and my
languagewhatever you wich to call it ( I think it is Swedish) ;-
)  "fastland" is clearly " the oppossite of islands and nothing else.
I also think that people living in Kalmar/Öland and Gothenburg/the
archipelago and even people from Gotland (when they are talking
seriously and not of Sweden as another country) would agree with me
on this point

> But I'd also like to add that we here in Norway often speak of
> "Europe" or "the Continent" as anything within Europe South
> of Scandinavian countries, excepting the British isles.
> So in our day-to-day consciousness we pretty much see ourselves as
> "insular", just like I believe the British do. That is because
> the only way to get to "Europe" is by ship.(also plane nowadays)

I find it hard to really believe this. Do the norweigans really
seriously (not just because of EU-discussion) consider themselves
not  living in Europe?
In any case we swedes are taught in schools how the map of Europe
looks like and I have never felt that I don't live in Europe. I
certainly see the British Islands as Europe too. Apparently Snorre
also had a fairly good idea of how Europe looked like, as it appears
of Edda and Ynlingasaga. Snorre himself lived on an Island and in the
referred chapter he is specifially taktin about mainland as opposed
to islands He also spent time with the lawman in Västergötland.
Should not he know what he was talking about?

> Also, I don't think we say "I've been touring Europe" when we have
> only visited Denmark. Somehow Jutland and the other Danish isles
> also appear to us as islands. (or peninsulas)

Since  I consider myself living in Europe I never would say that I've
been touring Europe when I've been touring Denmark. It really sounds
absurd.
> Sweden is of course very much connected to Norway, via a long
> common border - and so we are pretty much "in the same boat".
>
> Of course I cannot speak for all Norwegians on this.
> But I have noted this usage on several occasions, for example
> in newspapers or among friends. Would you say any of this point
> of view is also valid for Sweden ?
No, see above?

However we have a few peculiar expressions: "Kontinenten"
and "kontinental". The original meaning of the word is
simply "continent", but it could also, sometimes mean "what is to the
south"
Herman Lindqvist has written an exellent chapter about this
in "Caramba, so they never say" According to him the feel
of "kontinenten" a little bit starts in Lund in Skåne(Scania).( do
you agree Bertil?:-)e are a little friendlier and the atmosphere is a
little bit hotter. Then in Copenhagen "Kontinenten" starts for real,
but the feel could be more "kontinental"... In Paris it's even
more "continental" but something is still missing. Madrid must be the
ultimate "Kontinent", but isn't something missing still... or
something like that( from my memory).

I must say say that it is only in a case like this I would use the
word like this. But, rarely since I think it's  a myth that people
woud be friendlier, the more south you get.
I think that I just would say that I have been in this and that
country or eastern or southern Europe or the Iberian peninsula  or
something like that. "Kontinenten" sounds as if it was something
better than what we have here. All sorts of people travel everywhere
so it's really impossible to brag: " I have been on "kontinenten". It
really doesn't say much.

> Remember that the ancients also described "Scania" as an island.
> They probably knew better (see --> the story of Ottar's journey),
> but for practical purposes there wasn't much differense between
> a very long peninsula and living on an island.

I find this statment, in general, to be illogical.
Why would a serious historian or a geographer describe a peninsula as
an island, if he knew better?
Would Snorre deliberately spread desinfromation?
Specifically I think I have to read more about Ottar, wheter he knew
what he was talking about or nor or if it was desinformation. I
really don't know now.

> Best regards
> Keth
>
> PS Of course "meginland" may also have been relative.
> Thus the medieval Icelanders may have described Norway
> as "meginland". But from a standpoint in Norway, it is
> Norway that is the island, and continental Europe that
> is "mainland".
>
> PPS This may be relevant to a discussion of how the
> old Goths saw the geography as well - especially before
> they settled on the northern coast of "Reidgotaland".

Forgive me for being ignorant, but I really don't know what goths you
mean.
Perhaps I'm on the wrong list but I don't believe that the
Edda's "goths" are the same as the ostrogoths and visigoths in
historical central Europe.

I believe the names Göteborg (Gothenburg)Götaland Gotland etc comes
fom the god Gaut and not the people goths(visi-, ostro-.

Best Wishes
Anders