[gothic-l] Guta Saga and its Language

Anþanarik anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 17 17:05:42 UTC 2001

Hails List and Bertil!
Here is my first glance, partial translation of some of the text.

Migration section of the Guta Saga.

sithan af thissum thrim aucathis fulc j gutlandi  som   mikit um langan tima
  sit         at  this       three                           Gothland  some     great   on      long  time
ON mikill = great
ON tima = time

Sithan  wildu thair    nauthugir              bort fara men foru innan thors borg Oc bygthus thar firir.
Sit       wild      their   needmind/heart? bore away men from in  Thors fort  and  dwell there awhile.
Translated from a knowledge of ON.

Oc vpp ginum  ryza land so fierri foru thair at thair *quamu til griclanz*.
 and                                                                    the ending looks similar to Gothic
ON Ok = and
Gothic *and* would be  -   jah

thar baddus thair byggias firir af grica kunungi. vm. ny. oc nithar kunungr
In ON  kunungi may mean knowledge or maybe more like king
Gothic kunnan, to know, kunþi, n.
ON konnugr, is king.

* þissun þaira wiþratta quam*  firir drytningina vm sithir tha segthi han.
Beginning looks very gothic

Guta Saga

Eptir thet sithan quam helgi olauir kunungr flyandi af nerweigi mith
After  they sit                                  king     flys                            with
If kunungr in fact means king rather then Gothic kunnan, to know, it would seem related to Proto-Norse.

schipum oc legthis j hamn. tha sum callar acrgarn thar la helgi olaujr
ON helgi - holy

vm sendimen kunungs nemna wilia et
nemna looks like ON take neman
wilia may mean ON vilja, wish, want

thair miþ laglicum forfallum haima satin. ... Engin gief nemda aithir j
miþ ON with

gutlandi vtan kunungs aithir
aiþir looks gothic

An understanding of the  language of the Guta saga would be of great interest  to many.
 I see similarities with Old Icelandic and Gothic, while I am not a professional in antiquarian Germanic linguistics, I would  say that there may  be more similarites  to Proto-Norse then Gothic, not saying that I see many similarities and that unique Gothic style which would  indicate influences from both, in some yet discerned way, which also would not be surprising since the farther you trace back Germanic languages the more similar they would be, e.g. monogenesis.  Wheither it is an offshoot of Proto-Norse or Gothic, at this time I could not say.
Thoughts from others who are familar with the Gothic language?

Golja þuk,
Anþanareiks