[gothic-l] Re: Snorri on Reidgotaland

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jun 19 22:19:45 UTC 2001

Hi Anders

--- In gothic-l at y..., malmqvist52 at y... wrote:

> > In both cases your interpretation of "Hreid" as "Nest" makes
sense,
> > but are there also similarities to Gothic or other languages?
> >
> > Troels
>
> It is "rede" in swedish and this from Våra ord:
> fågelbo :fsv. redhe (jfr isl. hreidr, no reir); av dunkelt
ursprung
> (of obscure origin.).
>
> However my personal theory is that rede comes from the verb reda
> which means " to prepare, to manage (by yourself)"
> ------------

> Best wishes
> Anders

It is also "rede" in Danish, but I think your Icelandic version is
noteworthy.

As far as I can see you have strengthened the explanation from Keth,
as I do not buy the Hebrew connection in this case (snipped here). I
do not see "reda" as a counterpoint to "ey" unless this means, that
they ruled the islands - which we have no indications of - and the
waves of Hraidmare. You also have to explain the "H" which both you
and Keth did regarding "Nest".

To our Gothic experts: Has the word Hraith/Reid a parallel in Gothic?
What is the Gothic word for nest?

Troels