[gothic-l] Re: Snorri on Reidgotaland

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jun 19 23:32:45 UTC 2001

Hi Anders

--- In gothic-l at y..., malmqvist52 at y... wrote:

> The H would easily be explained as the hebrew definite article,
> corresponding to "the" in english and the suffix  -en/-et in
swedish.

OK, but which connections had the pagans around the Baltic Sea before
800AD with the Hebrew language? I regard closer connections as more
probable.

> And right No, I haven't made up my mind of what Reid (Hreid) in
> reidgotaland  actually means yet,  but It COULD be that simple,
that
> Snorri just made the word eygotaland up, as a perhaps funny,
perhaps
> not play with words.(H)Reidgotalad would then mean "The-made-up-
land"
> i e "the-nest-land".
>
> (I am smiling now.)
>
> Best wishes
> Anders

You may be right, that Snorri made up Eygothland, but then it was
still as a logical contrast to Hreidgotaland, which he did not make
up (see the posting from Keth 13 min. before yours).

Furthermore the translation "Nest-Goths" is not a new one. I have
seen it in Kemp Malone's Widsith from 1962, but now I think I
understand it after these discussions.

Troels