[gothic-l] Re: Snorri on Reidgotaland

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Wed Jun 20 00:39:01 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., trbrandt at p... wrote:
> Hi Anders
>
> --- In gothic-l at y..., malmqvist52 at y... wrote:
> >
> > The H would easily be explained as the hebrew definite article,
> > corresponding to "the" in english and the suffix  -en/-et in
> swedish.
>

> OK, but which connections had the pagans around the Baltic Sea
before
> 800AD with the Hebrew language? I regard closer connections as more
> probable.

I and others believe the elder uthark runic inscriptions are written
in a semitic languare related to arabic hebrew and aramaic.

(I am in the process of writing an aticle about some runic
inscriptions)
In my mind this explains e. g archelogical an non-acheologocal
occurrencies of lions I see them everywhere everyday here in
Gothenburg. This lion cult is totally unexplainable(in my mind)
otherwise.
It also explains the appearance of the god Gaut/Gad and therefore
also the words Göteborg (Gothenburg) Götaland etc. As I don't believe
the goths ever ( or at least not the latest 2000 some years) were in
Götaland these words would then be unexplainable ( in my mind )
otherwise.

Gad was fertility god( god of good fortune and war corresponding to
Mercury as I understand) in the near east, and you can see in Is 65:
11 what happes to those who set the table for Gad and Meni.

I also cross post this as a sort of futher presentation :
My computer died last time I tried to write this...
I just  mean what I say when I said that I did't laugh about these
inlays. It's sad and a pity that the authors seem to mix their
religious beliefs in e. g. talking about "10 lost tribes of Israel "
in Europe, ( the twelve tribes in the OT is clearly a made up as to
symbolize completenes or something) with findings of their historical
and linguistical research. Findings wich are not that bad in some
cases. E. g the page about the hebrew word Don.
The site above also does ( did I can't seem to find it now) some good
in mentioning the Karatepe inscription in one of the chapters. Thisc
is a bilingual Phoenician (3x  once on a lion a. o.)- Luwian
inscription of Azitawadd, King of the Danunians in a country of " the
plain of Adana"  The inscription is from the seventh century BC. This
peope is thought to be identical to one of the Peoples of the Sea i .
e. Danuna who attacked Egypt around 1200 BC. At least Michael C.
Astour in Hellenosemiitica thinks this people were mainly Phoenician
speaking from the outlay of the Karatepe text.
So Why am I writing about this people?

As it turns out these people seem to be connected to the Greek
mysterous tribe Danai (Danaans). Astour and others believe this. It's
is in Homer's Illiad a term for greek in general, but as far as I
know ONLY there.

Even the swedish Nationalencyclopedin (National Encyclopaedia)
mentions this:
" dana'er( grek. Danaoi[o (uplifted)i´], a little known oldgreek
tribe, at Homer name on greeks in general. "Danaerna" has been put in
connection with the Danuna or the Denyen which was estabished in
Cilicia and tookk part in the so called Sea Peoples which attacked
Egypt around 1190 BC"

Remember that Dudo says that the Danes are Daci and they say that
they are Danai or Danes and boast that they are decendants of Antenor

Now, since the Illiad is fictional then so is Antenor. But Danai is
NOT ficional. Couldn't then the Danes of the tenth century be right,
that they have a lineage from the Danaans in Minor Asia?

Of course there are time differenses, but maybe Snorri is right that
a people with lineage from Minor Asia in the mean time spent time
north of the Black Sea. Is this so impossible?

Best Wishes
Anders