[gothic-l] Re: Dunheidr

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Jun 22 12:15:02 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Troels,
>
> Starting with Dunheidr.
>
> Heidr is, I gather, "heath", which is pretty common
> in Old Norse toponomy.  The first part, Dun- can be
> explained in several ways.
>
> It can be an abbreviation of *Dunabisheidr, "the Danube
> heath". Possibly Marchfeld at the confluence
> of Danube and March. It could also be the Danube Heath.
> Others connect it with "Dunish Lugians" in Sileasia,
> mentioned by Ptolemy, since it is located near
> the Hercynian Wood.
>
> Some historians, however, have identified it with Dun,
> that is the river Don.
>
> "You shall call them to fight
> on the Dun Heath.."
> (from the saga of King Heidrek the Wise).

Bertil!

Do you assume Marchfeld too to be Reidgotaland? This would really
interest me.

Duna is actually one of the names of the Danube, but which versions
were used on Don and Danube in ON?

I was interested and asked you because of following remark about
Ukraine:

> Geographical names from the times like
>
> Dunheidr "Don Heath"
> Jassarfjoll "Jas Mountain"
> Myrkvidr "Black Forest"
> Danparstadir "Homesteads on the Dniepr
>
> show the Reidgotaland denoted Ukraine, especially
> the land between the Donec and Dniepr.-----

You may be right, that all Goths in the legends from the Vistula-
region and "behind" it were regarded as Reidgoths in the time of the
sagas, but I hope you will show us, that these four places are found
both in Reidgotaland and in Ukraine - and not everywhere.

Troels