[gothic-l] Jassarfjoll

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Jun 25 12:13:42 UTC 2001

Bertil wrote:
>Troels,
>
>"You shall call them to fight
>on the Dun Heath,
>to a battle below
>the Jassarfjoll;
>there often Goths
>have given battle."

Note: "fj at ll", where i have used the @-character to represent
the so called "hooked-o" of Old Norse" is the PLURAL of "fjall",
which means mountain. Thus, in the poem, the correct translation
is NOT "Jassar Mountain", but rather "the Jassar Mountains".
This shows that it is a mountain RANGE that is intended, rather
than a single mountain. In fact, I believe the ON text says
"Jassarfj at llum", which is the plural dative.

I tried to find out more about this placename, but wasn't very sucessful.
The name itself is mentioned only once in the whole corpus of ON poetry.
Varians lectio is "Jossarfj at ll" and also "Iosurfj at ll".
In another dictionary I also find "J at surfj@ll" and also
"J at surheiðr", a place name. Here it is further pointed to
Norwegian placenames such as "Jusureid" in Kviteseid, Norway,
as well as  "J at sureið" which is an island off the W. coast
of Norway. This just to suggest that the name could have meant
something in Old Norse. It is just that we don't know it any
longer.

Best regards
Keth