[gothic-l] Re: Reidgotaland

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jun 25 17:26:34 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

I personally am not very convinced that (H)Reidgoth = Greutung
There are two reasons:
1. The phonetic difficulties of hreid = greut
There is not only the problem of h~g (to a Gothic G corresponds
generally a G in the other Germanic languages, including Norse), but
also ei is not the same as eu.
2. In the Edda appears also the term "Gryting", in connection with the
Goths, and in my opinion this "Gryting" is the exact Norse equivalent
of "Greutung".

I have only a German translation of the Edda, by Felix Genzmer ("Die
Edda - Götterdichtung, Spruchweisheiten und Heldengesänge der
Germanen", Eugen Diederichs Verlag, München, 1981, 1997). The word
"Gryting" I found in Hlöðskviða, the German Title being "Das
Hunnenschlachtlied" = "The Song of the battle of the Huns". There the
Goths led by Angantyr are fighting against the Huns led by Angantyr's
halfbrother, Hlöd (both are Heidrek's sons). One of Angantyr's men is
old Gizur, the Gryting warrior.

BTW, here I found also the geographic terms quoted by Bertil.
In the introduction to this Hlöðskviða, the translator (Genzmer) says
(this translation from German in English is made by me, being
obviously imperfect):
"The persons of this very old song are not attested in historical
sources; however, Heidrek, Angantyr, Hlöd and Sifka do appear also in
the Anglo-Saxon poem Widsid; there we hear also of our Ormar
(Wyrmhere) that he together with Ulfhar (Wulfhere) defended the old
inherited land with sharp swords in the forest of Vistula against the
Huns (Aetla's men). A Nordic fragment says furthermore that Heidrek
was killed at the Harwada mountains, that is the Carpathians. Herefrom
we can suppose the historical basis of our song: after Ermanaric's
great empire, that reached from the Baltic to the Black Sea, collapsed
under the Hunic attack, and the Visigoths were pushed south- and
westwards, while the Ostrogoths came under Hunic control, north of
Carpathians in the Vistula region persisted a smaller independant
Gothic realm; a Hunic attack from the south, thus probably through the
Carpathian mountain passes or westwards by these mountains, was
repelled on the "Dunheide" in the Dyngja valley (probably the plain on
the inferior course of the Dunajetz river)."
That is what Genzmer is saying. In this Hlöðskviða appear also other
geographic terms, that remain unexplained by Genzmer: Arheim (where
the Goths are living; in other place Arheim is the place where Gizur
the Gryting warrior came from), Myrkwid (between the Hunic and the
Gothic lands), the Jassar mountains (near Dyngja and Dunheide).
Myrkwid and Jassar mountains were quoted also by Bertil. I am very
curious what these placenames could really mean.

Francisc