[gothic-l] Re: Danparstadir - Reidgotaland

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jun 26 23:17:49 UTC 2001

Bertil, Keth, Anders and other contributors

Thank you for a lot of good information and ideas.

Bertil must be right that the Scandinavians at a certain time
combined Hreidgoths with locations in Eastgermanic legends - possibly
being transferred to Scandinavia by people who were a part of these
events. I am not quite sure from Bertil's examples if these were all
located in Ukraine or in Central Europe - or they were moved from
Ukraine to Central Europe by a people like the Ostrogoths, the
Alanes, the Gepides, the Heruls (who even continued to Scandinavia)
and other people.

We can't say if the Hreidgoths and the legends were originally a part
of real events, or they were later combined in Scandinavia. The man
who made the Roek-stone probably knew who they were, but I am not
sure that Snorri and the other later writers knew that.

I believe they lived somewhere at the Continent. However we still
have to find a satisfying connection to Hreidmare and Eygoths. It is
difficult to explain both these names if the Hreidgoths lived in
Ukraine - and it is too easy to claim that there was no connection.

Below Bertil mentioned the name Danp from Rigsthula as an eponym to
Don. Dan and Danp were mentioned as better vikings than Rig and his
son Kon. Did Dan and the Danes come from the river Don too?

Bertil! We have now discussed Ases and Hreidgoths at river Don. Has
this anything to do with the theory of Thor Heyerdahl, which you have
defended? Is he looking at the right period?

Best regards
Troels