[gothic-l] Re: Danparstadir - Reidgotaland

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Wed Jun 27 22:43:39 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk

I agree in most of your letter, except that I am sure the sagas and
poems contain some real events. Unfortunately phantasy and reality is
mixed up from different times and places, and normally you will not
know which of the elements are real. Therefore you can probably never
use the sagas and poems as historical sources, but they might explain
something when you compare them with history and archaeology - and
this is not necessarily about the time of the writer.

Snorri mentioned the Reidgoths, and 400 years earlier the Roek-stone
mentioned Hreidmare and the Hreidgoths living at least 9 generations
before. This seems to be more than pure imagination, but I do not
know what it is - that is why I have been "fishing" for information
the last week. This has surely been interesting.

Snorri tried to explain and tell about the past using old sources,
and he wrote about the problems with these sources. It is unfair to
compare him with Walther Scott, who had quite another purpose.

I noticed of course an earlier post from Andreas Schwarcz placing
sagas as literature. This is OK with me if literature is every thing
else than history, but there are different kinds of literature not
all being pure fiction.

Actually I have listened to Andreas earlier, and in the new version
of my own web-site about the Heruls I have tried to separate history
and archaeology from a pattern of stories in the sagas - but they
might tell the same story.

It is very easy to say, that we can not use the sagas and Saxo, as
they do not fit the criterias of historical sources, but this is
nearly the only written material about the early Scandinavian (and
maybe northern Gothic) history. In other professional jobs you have
to tell the story and make your reservations about the uncertainty in
the process looking for new knowledge. One day another person may
come with another knowledge being the missing link to prove your
story.

Troels