[gothic-l] Re: Danparstadir - Reidgotaland

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Jun 28 14:15:17 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> > It is very easy to say, that we can not use the sagas and Saxo,
as
> > they do not fit the criterias of historical sources, but this is
> > nearly the only written material about the early Scandinavian
(and
> > maybe northern Gothic) history.
>

> Yes, but you cannot use it as historical source just because real
> historical sources are absent. If real historical/archaeological
> sources are absent that there is simply no history. In other words,
> one cannot simply assume that the Reidgota were a real people on
the
> basis of a saga and a lay on a stone. They must remain part of
> literature and tell first and foremost something about literary
> traditions and continuity, which should not prevent researchers to
> find evidence for their existence in real sources.
>
> cheers,

Dirk

I did not claim this to be history but in the next sentence, which
you snipped, I called it a "story" (being worth telling). It is still
interesting and may influence other assessments - as you agreed
yourself.

Troels