[gothic-l] Re: Danparstadir - Reidgotaland

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jun 28 19:21:25 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk!
Thank you for refreshing my memory. I now recall reading
something about it a while ago. Interestingly, the same
story is also related as an Icelandic poem. I wonder how
many centuries these two stories lived a separate existence.
What I find curious, is that the names have been so well preserved,
in that the names in the Icelandic poem are almost exactly the same
as in the German poem. This might then indicate that names
can be transmitted over very many generations without much
distortion in oral tradition.

They also had pictures. Or rather series of pictures,
sometimes carved, other times painted. Sometimes on
shields, other times on woven rugs, sometimes on doorposts
or walls. Sometimes they also had poems that "explained"
such pictures. I suppose such images might help to keep
the poems from changing. They would, metaphorically
"nail the poems to the wall".

Have you heard the music composed by Ravel, called "Pictures
at an exhibition"? In it he varies the musical theme, so
that each theme describes a different picture at the
exhibition. Maybe the old shield poems were a little bit
like that.

Chears,
Keth