[gothic-l] Re: Danparstadir - Reidgotaland

Alburysteve at AOL.COM Alburysteve at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 28 21:30:57 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk:

>  The Hildebrandlied starts with "Ik gihorta dat seggen ...", i.e. "I
>  heard them say...", which makes it clear that the story was passed on
>  (and distorted) from mouht to mouth.
>
>  The same is true for the Nibelungenlied. It also start by reporting
>  that "Uns ist in alten maeren wunders vil geseit ....", i.e. "
>  wonderous things have been told in old tales...".

These formulaic beginnings are part and parcel to most epics and artifacts of
an oral tradition.  They don't mean that the teller picked them up as bits of
gossip in the fish market.  Understand that there are finely honed mechanisms
that allow the tellers of oral tales to work their craft on epics as
extensive as the Iliad.: metrics, formulas, and a wide range of mnemonics.
Albert Lord's classic "Singer of Tales" explains all this and draws on
twentieth century Yugoslavian bards for examples and analogies with earlier
epics.  When you understand how oral epics work, it's very much easier to
pick the wheat out of the chaff.  Yes, they contain many motifs and themes
from myth, epic, and folk tradition.  But then so do some "histories".
Livy's history of Early Rome is replete with mythological themes because he
too relies on the oral tradition in his account of events from which he is as
taken seriously while Homer is discounted.

Rgds,

Steve O'Brien
Albury, Ontario