[gothic-l] Re: The Illiad as Fiction

F. Ximeneiks - (F. E. Ximenez) jimenezf at ALPHA.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Sat Jun 30 20:53:00 UTC 2001

Perhaps someone can briefly clarify that it was indeed Schliermacher
that proved the Illiad as historical fact. I had no idea of the latter
since Schliemacher was a theologian and mainly interested in the
ecclesiastical matters of his time. I have searched high and low for an
entry regarding his involvement in the stated matter but have been
unable to find it. Would it be possible to have some citation or source
regarding Shliermacher's findings. I would be extremely interested.

One possibility for my inability in finding sources on the latter is
that the party 'actually'  responsible for the discovery of Troy etc...
was Heinrich Schlieman. Perhaps it is just a case of mistaken identity.
It was Schlieman that began excavations in the desolate region near
Hissarlik Turkey, where he believed the remains of ancient Troy were
buried. The excavation went past the ruins of 'Homer's' Troy, and found
even older cities. Thereafter, archaeologists found that there had
actually been nine cities on this site. Sometime later Schliemann began
excavating on the Greek mainland and found the prehistoric cities of
Mycenae and Tiryns.

Cheers,
Frþunanþs Ximénez