[gothic-l] Re: Sarmatians and Goths in Poland

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Mar 6 15:51:05 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> This obsession with blond and warlike ancestors has of course other
> much more sinister parallels as well. Also, I know that the Alans
were
> reportedly fair haired and tall - on the other hand as an Iranian
> people I find this somewhat difficult to believe.

This is not so difficult to believe. It seems that the primitive
Indo-EuropeanS were predominantly fair haired and tall. So were for
instance the "Ariyas" who invaded India approx. 1400 BC, or the Old
Hittites when they invaded Anatolia approx. 1500 BC (?). Fair haired
and tall were also the Tocharians of today's Chinese Turkestan (at
least they were described this way by the Chinese). And also fair
haired and tall were, according to antic authors (not only
Greco-Roman, but also Chinese), the so called "outer Iranic peoples":
Scythians (including the Eastern Scythians or Saka of today's Chinese
Turkestan), Sarmatians, and Alans (and, if I'm not wrong, the
Ossetians, descendants of an Alanic tribe, are even today in part fair
haired and tall).

Francisc

GUTANI WIHAILAG