[gothic-l] Re: Sarmatians and Goths in Poland

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Wed Mar 7 00:42:04 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., Xoxana at w... wrote:
> >
> >             I learned today of a new indigenist
> > distortion of history I had never heard of before. During the
18th
> and
> > 19th centuries, many Polish nobles entered a romantic cult called
> > "Sarmatism." They thought they were the descendents of ancient
> warriors
> > from the steppes called Sarmatians.
> >             I knew that the nobility of Poland
> > were descended from Goths or vikings, so what about the myth?
>

> Hi,
>
> I am quite sure that also the proposition that the Polish nobility
is
> decended from Goths or Vikings is unfounded. These kind of myths
have
> been invented in the past to give themselves a higher status
through
> greater antiquitiy of their origins. Especially in Poland, where at
> times up to one third of the population claimed noble decend
including
> many very poor peasants, the emergence of such myths is quite
> understandable as a way to make up for inferior self-esteem.
>

> (snip)
>
>     Sarmatians had invaded Poland nearly
> > 2,000 years ago. But then they were conquered by the Goths. The
> Goths
> > adopted some of the customs of the Sarmatians, and foreigners
often
> had
> > difficulty telling them apart.
> > The Sarmatians, also known as Alans, were very blond and warlike,
> just
> > like the Goths. So the Polish nobililty were descended from blond
> > warriors without any doubt.
>

> This obsession with blond and warlike ancestors has of course other
> much more sinister parallels as well. Also, I know that the Alans
were
> reportedly fair haired and tall - on the other hand as an Iranian
> people I find this somewhat difficult to believe.
>

> >It seems that everybody (except northwest
> >                 Europeans) wants to invent a glorious history for
> >themselves.
>

> Well the British higher nobility once claimed to be decendents of
the
> lost tribe of Israel!

Hi!
Once I read a book, a novel, in Poland a well-known book from
nationalromantic period in the beginning of the 20th c, by Henryk
Sienkiewicz. It´s called "Potop" or the "flood" in english. It´s
about the 1650ies in Poland and the nationalistic nobelmens effort to
push out a invading army from a well-known nordic country. There in a
bysentence you are allowed to follow the swordfencing nobelman
Michael Volodjovsky´s thoughts. And the story goes approximately like
this:"and as a nobelman from the slachta(nobility-class), he not only
had to learn the art of sword-fencing, but must also learn latin and
gothic. But he wasn´t very interested in books". In books and films,
especially the nobility is often depicted as being blond.

I wonder if it was a myth during the nationalromantic period or did
the polish noblemen in general, until the 17th c also speak gothic.
And if they did that, why did they do that?

Håkan Liljeberg