[gothic-l] Re: Sarmatians and Goths in Poland

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Wed Mar 7 23:11:51 UTC 2001

On 7 Mar 2001, at 9:39, Xoxana at webtv.net wrote:

>      You can't distinguish language from race.

What nonsens. Firstly, according to modern genetics there is only a
single human race (and the genetic difference between men and
mice is rather small). In modern anthropology typology of humans
according to skull-measuring is considered outdated. Secondly, the
history of the European languages, especially the global proliferation
of English, Spanish and French, clearly shows the absurdity of the
argument. To return to the theme of this discussion list, Gothic was
the common language in the Hunnic empire of Attila, but the
Visigoths in Spain took over the Latin language of the indigenous
population. I suggest we return to the Goths and leave Stalin and the
Ossetians to modern politics and contemporary history.

Andreas Schwarcz
ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich