[gothic-l] Re: Sarmatians and Goths in Poland

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Mar 8 10:42:57 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., babeck at a... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > Nordic Gothic skeletons found at the Black sea can hardly have
been
> > Goths at all if the dating range of between 100BC to 100AD is
> correct.
> > The Goths reached this area only in the late 2nd century. So you
> have
> > those supposedly Germanic/Gothic characteristics in a time frame
> where
> > their should not have been any Germanic/Gothic people in that
area.

> Hi,
> Weren't the Bastarnae in this region around these dates?
>
> Cheers,
> Brian Beck

Hi Brian,

I think the Bastarnae were situated somewhere at the Danube, but not
exactly the Chersonnes. Also, it is not really clear who or what these
Bastarnae were. Celts? a Celtic-Germanic mixed people? How does that
work with language beeing the main distinguishing factor, some
Bastarnae speaking Celtic some Germanic or all  Celto-Germanic mixed
language.

The main point here is that these skeletons were apparently identified
as the remains of Goths, because of their alledged nordic
cahracteristics,  although Goths had not reached that area by the
given timeframe, which casts some doubts on this method. Also, I doubt
that bone measurements could be used to  distinguish between a Celt
and a German.

cheers