[gothic-l] Re: Heruls

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Sun Mar 11 15:01:57 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> Håkan wrote:
> >
> > Hej Ingemar,
> >
> > I have seen similar thoughts somewhere about Rink, Rick-names
> > connected with warriors of a higher class. Your ideas seems very
> > realistic, and interesting. We can probably both agree that these
> > names might reflect an idea that could be connected with a feudal
> > system with a earls/warlords and warriors. The sixth
headline "About
> > golden rings and necklaces", seems very interesting in this
respect.
> > In almost all these areas have been found "erilaR"-inscriptions,
and
> > the latest I´ve heard was that also one had been found at
Bornholm,
> [...]
> standing stones are dated between early pre-Roman IA and Roman IA
and
> Migration period and the Heruls are said to have arrived in the 6th
c.
> Besides, many of these places on Ring- have an earlier name Sol-
wich
> still remains specially in Svealand and on Öland. They must
accordingly
> once have been connected to the old solar cult and later the early
cult
> of Gaut and  Óðinn-gaut. There  are however no objections if  you
mean
> the Herules also could have used these places as indeed being
odinistic,
> but they did not start them up. Your further information was very
> interesting. I think we should have a deeper chat off line.

Hej Ingemar!

Sorry for being so late with my answer, but I have had a lot of work
lately. thank for your many interesting facts. I think that you are
right when you state that most of the standing ring stones belongs to
the Roman IA and the periods before. When it comes to Vätteryd grave-
field, I think it was Berta Stjern-quist or Märta Strömberg that had
the opinion that this grave-field begins around 550 AD. With the
Sösdala find just one to two km to the north, one cannot help
thinking about a possible connection with intruding heruls or the
unrest as a result of a large invading group of people. Just ten km
south of these places, the highland goes down conciderably, forming a
natural defense-line with miles after miles of wast woodlands to the
east and west. The view here is great with a possibility to have an
outlook for twenty to thirty km away in good weather-conditions.
Maybe it´s a connection with the irritation between early swedes and
danes, described in "Rolf Krakes saga" by Saxo Grammaticus and
Wulfstans information to Alfred the great that Blekinge(and maybe
earlier NE Skåne/Scania)and Öland belonging to the swedes of the
Mälar valley. But this do not include the gauts area(Götaland). I
think that Lars Gahrn have some interesting thoughts about the
extension of the gauts area in early history. I am also looking
forward to read your book, which I will probably do soon. We
defenitely should have a chat off-line.

A webcamera link looking south from the ridge.
http://www.hoor.se

PS I have forwarded your message about cultural destruction in
Afghanistan to a number of people DS

Varma hälsningar

Håkan Liljeberg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM