[gothic-l] Re: Sarmatians and Goths in Poland

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Sun Mar 11 21:23:13 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> > Hi!
> > Once I read a book, a novel, in Poland a well-known book from
> > nationalromantic period in the beginning of the 20th c, by Henryk
> > Sienkiewicz. It´s called "Potop" or the "flood" in english. It´s
> > about the 1650ies in Poland and the nationalistic nobelmens
effort
> > push out a invading army from a well-known nordic country. There
in
> > bysentence you are allowed to follow the swordfencing nobelman
> > Michael Volodjovsky´s thoughts. And the story goes approximately
> like
> > this:"and as a nobelman from the slachta(nobility-class), he not
> only
> > had to learn the art of sword-fencing, but must also learn latin
and
> > gothic. But he wasn´t very interested in books". In books and
films,
> > especially the nobility is often depicted as being blond.
> >
> > I wonder if it was a myth during the nationalromantic period or
did
> > the polish noblemen in general, until the 17th c also speak
gothic.
> > And if they did that, why did they do that?
> >

> > Håkan Liljeberg
>

> Hi Hakan,
>
> there is no chance in the world that the 17th century (or
> earlier/later) Polish nobility spoke Gothic. I remember that when
in
> the 13th and 14th century the German order knights conquered the
land
> of the Prussians and Masovia, a Polish chronicler spoke of the
threat
> of the Goths, thus equating Germans with Goths. Also, a German
> printing script widely used at this time is still called Gothic
> (Gotische Frakturschrift), maybe he was refering to that. At any
rate
> no Gothic was spoken in 17th century Poland!

Hi Dirk,

As I thought, the idea about a large amount being able to speak
gothic in Poland in the 17th was a hoax. But such ideas and bettering
history into fantastic legends and stories was normal in the 19th c.
Free interpretation was a regular way of telling the history. The
history allover the western world was told the way you wanted it to
be, rather the way it really was. Probably because the science of
archeology was still in it´s infancy.

Greetings from

Håkan Liljeberg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM