[gothic-l] Digest Number 229

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Tue Mar 13 15:49:21 UTC 2001

gothic-l at yahoogroups.com skrev:

> Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html
>
> There are 2 messages in this issue.
>
> Topics in this digest:
>
>       1. Goths, Heruls or Alamanns? The Phalheim Horse Warriors
>            From: dirk at smra.co.uk
>       2. Eruli
>            From: Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at tninet.se>

> Message: 1
>    Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:22:35 -0000
>    From: dirk at smra.co.uk
> Subject: Goths, Heruls or Alamanns? The Phalheim Horse Warriors
>
> Hello all,
>
> the Nuremberg Germanic National Museum is starting an exhibition
> about the horse warriors found in the cemetary of Phalheim (Ellwangen
> South Germany) in the early 20th century. This cemetary (5th to 7th
> century) yielded the remains of a considerable number of Germanic
> horsemen, who were burried with weapons, shields and highly decorated
> riding equipment. The interesting thing about the artefacts recovered
> in these graves is that their decorations, style and manufacture are
> almost exclusively East-Germanic - East Roman/Byzantine and
> Mediterranean. Some Archaelologists have stated that the Phalheim
> warriors were the arch-typical East-Germanic horsemen. This has long
> given rise to interpretations arguing that these were in fact Goths
> or/and Heruls. However, W. Menghin has argued that the Phalheim
> warriors were Alamanns posted their by the Franks to defend an
> important East-West connection of the Merowingian Empire. At any
> rate, the exhibition is on until July 15 and a detailed Katalog is
> also available from the Museum.
>
> cheers
> Dirk

Hello Dirk!

When you  write Nuremberg is that another place than Nürnberg or is  it
the same? I never  heard of it. Could you please give me the direct
adress to the authorities that I may contact them, please!

Kindly
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM