[gothic-l] Re: Sarmatians and Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 14 13:52:14 UTC 2001

> Reliable sources do not even
> mention a Sarmatian king of these small rests of Sarmatians.

Bertil,

I regard Andreas Schwarcz as a reliable source and I have no reason to
 doubt his expertise.

> The large following battles are between Romans and Goths.
> The dominating force since the third century is the Gothic.

You probably mean the Goths were a dominant force in the Balkan region
in the third century. Note that the Roman Empire had to defend at
several fronts at once. Parthians in the east, Goths in the Balkan,
Alamanni frequently even attacking Milan, internal ursurpers in Gaul,
Britain and other places. All of those external and internal enemies
weakened the military defences. To see the Goths as 'the' dominant
force of the third century that brought down Rome is highly
over-simplistic (or wishful thinking).

cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM